Portfolio | Michael Pisano
Swarm: Insects and Entomology for Artists | June 2017 Application
1. Video Highlight Reel | Highlights from personal and client work. Edited December 2016.
2. Animation Highlight Reel | Highlights from personal and client work. Edited December 2016.
3. Shroomlapses / Slimelapses | Timelapses I made of oyster mushrooms and the slime mold physarum polycephalum. These pieces grew out of early experiments for CRAWLER (see below).
4. CRAWLER | [work in progress] a webcomic with embedded animations and games. CRAWLER's narrative is about bugs, fungus, and prehistoric gods trying to turn the earth back into primordial soup. The project includes a parallel educational series of short videos exploring the science, history, and ethical discussion around mass extinction events and stewardship.
Some concept drawings:
An early screen test:
5. Philosophy and Nanoscience | Science explainer made in collaboration with the History and Philosophy of Science department at University of Pittsburgh.
6. Rachel Carson: A Fable for Tomorrow | Part of a 15-video webseries on the history of social change movements for high schoolers. Made in collaboration with SocialChange101.
7. Loss | [excerpt] An animated short film made in collaboration with musician Mark Mangini.
8. Seven Voyages | Illustrations based on the seven voyages of Sinbad the Sailor, made into an artists book in collaboration with Maria G. Pisano. Completed for the Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here traveling exhibition.